[adult swim]

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Home: The Extension of Self


Home of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes

All weekend, I have been painting my apartment like a "MAD MAN"! I did most of the painting of the walls, but when I picked out a color for the doors that was suppose to be a brownish orange, it came out CLOWN ORANGE! Sooooo... I went back to Home Depot (thank goodness they took back the paint) and got what I call a "Wendy's Frosty" Brown. It looks so much better. The concept and look of my house is going to be a "Natural Contemporary". I want it to feel modern, with subdued colors, bold shapes & designs, with accents from Nature. I want people who come to my house to see that this is an extension of my self. I'm going to put up a lot of my designs, photography, and paintings all around the house. I'll have photos of my progress later on.

In the meantime, I found some photos of Lisa "Left Eye" Lopes house online, and wanted to share with everyone Lisa's home. Her mother, Wanda Lopes, now resides in the home, and pretty much kept everything the same way. You will see various artwork from Lisa, as well as artwork from TLC fans. She designed everything in her home to fit her style.


Lisa once said, "My favorite room in the house is the kitchen. I make more use out of it than of any other room in the house--cook, clean, bathe, eat, sleep, fax, watch TV, talk on the phone, f**k, etc."


Wanda Lopes and Lisa's sister, Raina Lopes, look at a portrait of Left Eye above the fire place. I love how she used contemporary and traditional looking furniture together.


"This is sculpture she created when she was in grade school. Creativity had no end with Lisa."


"Wanda & Raina Lopes sit in the 'Purple Room'. It looks pretty comfortable."


"Wanda Lopes takes out a painting Left Eye did in Honduras. It shows a naked Lisa sitting on top of the world, juggling round orbs that represent, Strength, Cooperation, Birth, Money, and a Kingdom."


"Here Wanda Lopes, and her husband play ping pong in the rec room."


"A Statue of Michelangelo greets guest in style."


"Wanda & Raina Lopes stand by another portrait of Lisa."

Question of the Week:

What have you done to make your home or apartment an extension of you? How does the decor' of your house represent your personality and style?
[thanks to sandrarose.com for the photos]

7 Comments:

  • You know I LOVE TLC. I've never seen half of these pics. Great post.

    By Blogger Liza Valentino, at 8:10 PM  

  • Hey Sexy!

    I haven't done shit to my house! Thats why I am irritated all the damn time....maybe I should spruce things up to make me feel better...you inspire me!

    Off to the treadmill!!

    By Blogger Dubbed As Trent Jackson, at 11:06 PM  

  • I LOVE my apartment ... although I must say upgrades NEED to be made ... but my most favorite item in my apartment has to be this red recliner I bought from a contemporary furniture store. It is SO funky ... and I threw a red and cream throw pillow it ... I LOVE it ... so much so that I don't let people sit in it! lol. I also love the way my dining room table is decorated! WE LOVE YOU PIER 1!!

    By Blogger Systa Soul, at 6:48 AM  

  • I too love my apartment, but also feel some upgrades need to be made. I guess to represent me, I used a wall in my apartment to create a collage of pics of all my friends and family- they're very important to me. Also, to show my more artisitc side, I've painted designs and mini-murals within the borders or my walls. It turned out really cool.

    By Blogger Will, at 4:58 PM  

  • I am eclectic,hip,over the top and a little dramatic.It's apparent in the bold colors I chose for my home.A wall in my den has a huge mural of the New York Skyline done in black,off white,charcoal,and silver and so is everything else in that room.I'm very New York and that's an ode to that.

    By Blogger HOLIDAY N, at 8:04 PM  

  • My room looks like a piece of crap. I have my favourite tshirts hanging on the walls like wallpaper. Then, I have huge black and white posters of bob marley, muhammad ali, malcolm x, and peter tosh on one of the walls. all my furniture is oak wood and my floor is oak wood too.

    By Blogger bitchdoctrine, at 9:43 AM  

  • I bought Lisa's first house I'm still making it my own but the house still retains alot of Lisa's and her mothers charm. Wanda is a very nice person and has lots of creative energy. I will slowly make the house an extention of myself and my husband. Atlanta is very different area than the D.C. area in which I've lived for the last 14 years. There is lots of culture and a much slower pace loven it!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counters
Thanks for Visiting!

Powered by Blogger