[adult swim]

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Death of a Tooth

I don't know what to do.

I'm at work, and I pretty much finished up everything I had to do until my boss comes in and gives me another design project. It has been pretty slow here at the office, due to all the deaths going on. My boss had to fly out to Puerto Rico because one of his family members died, and then when he gets back, his bestfriend, and one of our clients passed away as well. Then on top of that... one of our new clients mother dies, which puts one of our designs on hold. I'm so used to death at this job, its crazy! One of my bosses' sons best friend died in a tragic car accident, and one of the barbers that works across the street from my job, his children got killed in a hit & run. Yeah... Death really does come with the job. I pray HARD, that the next one won't be me!

So I went to the dentist yesterday, and found out that I have 5 cavities and I need a root canal. I have NEVER had teeth problems when I was a kid or a teenager. Since my job doesn't have dental insurance, I been holding out... well I'm glad I went. My teeth have been killing me on one side, so I finally got it checked out. I can't afford a root canal! But, I have an option to get the tooth pulled. Sigh. The Dentist said that it won't be seen if I smile, but if I smile big it can be seen. What do I do? I love smiling? Do I pay over 1,000 to fix it, or do I just pull it and don't smile big?

My Mom said that even if you do get a root canal, they might have to take it out eventually. Do I get a fake tooth down the line when I get more money? I don't want to seem vane, but I love my teeth the way it is, but I don't want it to get infected and go brain dead! I like my brain even more! lol. Can I handle the toothless jokes? Will I still be attractive to Fuzzy?

Maybe I am just over-reacting. sigh.
See, this is the reason why I hate being an adult! I have to make all these choices that evolve money and health, and its just too much at times! Now the question of leaving my job comes into play, so that I can go to a place that does have dental insurance. My mom keeps hounding me to find another job. While I have enough money to pay my bills, I could be making way more! I try to avoid these issues because I want to live a peaceful life, but I know there will be a time that I have to "kill" off a lot of things that are comfortable now, so that I can live a better life later.

Well as you get older, you have to deal with these things. Sucks, but you have to. All I want to do is go home, and watch Beyonce perform "DejaVu" on the BET Awards again! Yet, I have to go home and find a way to come up with the money to fix my teeth.

Great, what fun! What do you guys think?


UPDATE FRIDAY, JUNE 30, 2006:

I really appreciate everyone else's advice.

I will try and see if I can go to a Dental School and see if they can do the root canal for a lower price. If the wait is too long, I will just go ahead and get it pulled

The worse that can happen is I don't have a tooth for awhile... but the price of a root canal and a fake may be around the same price.

All I have to do is prepare myself for not having a tooth, lol. It will be hard at first, but I know I will get over it eventually... thanks again!

SEND MORE ADVICE IF U CAN, STILL NEED INPUT!

18 Comments:

  • UM...

    look at the solution that you're able to afford now! Get it pulled. Because even if you do go through with the root canal...they still may have to take the tooth.

    WOWZERS CAPOWZERS! Last year when I was on book tour the dentist told me I needed my wisdom teeth pulled...needless to say I haven't done them yet...

    But take care of it, you don't want to be lookin' like yuck mouth. Besides Shawn there are far more serious issues than a damn tooth! Stop being wannabe glam! It's not for you...you're the boy next door. Save the Glam stuff for me, Larry and Frank!

    By Blogger Dubbed As Trent Jackson, at 8:55 AM  

  • I would suggest that you see if the dentist will allow for you go to on a payment plan for either the root canal or for a fake tooth. That is if it really bothers you and if you can afford it. Outside of that I would say, have it pulled. If it infects your other teeth, imagine this dilemna compounded.

    Also, if your job allows for you to live comfortable and you enjoy it, why leave? I have had a job that payed a lot of money and had a prestigious title but I was not happy and it was hell. So much is to be said with a job that you enjoy and allows for you to live comfortably. I would suggest that you find benefits on your own. It won't be through your job but you pay them a monthly fee and are covered. Many of them are through graphic design organization/clubs. For example: SPD
    There is another one here in NYC but I can't remember right now. Will get back to you on that one.

    By Blogger Ty, at 9:26 AM  

  • Hmmm well I am not sure about Jersey but here in the DC/MD area you can opt to go to a dental school and have their dentist do either the root canal or extraction for practice purposes and the fee is a lot lot less..I would look into that avenue...let me know.

    By Blogger antneya, at 9:33 AM  

  • It's very simple. That's easy for me to say. Get them fixed they are part of you. Without them you will not feel whole at times you may feel less confidant. All above however can only be achieved if you can get the cash. If you can't then you have no choice, but you should look to perhaps fix when the funds allow. I'm in a pretty similar situation I injured a tooth and in turn it got affected. The surgeon unknown to me did not do a great job I had a veneer. The tooth broke back and the pin was not adequate I've been told and a gold pin is needed or another option of making a bridge between teeth.....this is boring stuff I know. The upshot is that it will cost me around £600.00!! I'm so paranoid so I gotta find the money somehow. It actually made me do stuff I've been planning to do for years like sell some old records and two vintage suits. I've already raised half the money and I'm looking after my friend shop this weekend for more money! I had to delay with the op though until I get paid. BUT THERE IS ONLY ONE ME AND THERE IS ONLY ONE YOU. You are 'Super' and you deserve the best and nothing less. Willber

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:47 AM  

  • get it pulled...

    save up and the cosmetic sugery later...

    By Blogger Quaheem, at 11:08 AM  

  • aww pobrecito.
    i love your smile.
    fuzzy will be fine.
    prioritize your health, be strategic about your finances and let me know how i can help.

    i don't know about this wannabe glam talk, but i do know that none of my "stuff" is glam stuff.

    By Blogger Larry D. Lyons II, at 11:23 AM  

  • My Shawn the pain is not worth it. You are fly. We all know this. So get the tooth pulled and just get the replacement tooth later. Fuzzy is all head over heels for you, so he is not the issue. The only real issue here would be the affect on your self esteem. And noone can do much about that but you. Trust me,boo, you'll still be sexy and the ENERGY BEHIND that great smile (which is what REALLY attracts people)of yours will be enough to sustain until the visual glory of it it restored. Love ya,

    In Progression,
    Omar Ramon

    By Blogger Omar Ramon, at 12:46 PM  

  • i've had a root canal before..it's not so bad if you have a good dentist...

    i hate the dentist tho...so i feel your pain..no pun intended.

    like most have said, i would get it pulled and do the cosmetic part when you are ready.

    By Blogger gee, at 2:33 PM  

  • First, consult with your dentist again and get HIS expert opinion. Every case is different. If you really like the teeth, then I would see what avenues you have to retain it. If those don't work, then have it removed. Like the others on the posting have been saying, you can always have the cosmetic portion of it done later.

    But I would at least try to keep it first. You don't want to regret it later....

    By Blogger ~HoustonNY~, at 4:38 PM  

  • I know how you feel I I chipped a tooth really badly and I had to get it replaced.

    Get it pulled and get a replacement later if you are a little self conscious like myself.

    Oh and definetly look for a better job now while you can afford too. You definetly need better insurance and more money if you can make it. You will feel so much better later.

    By Blogger 4GOTTEN1, at 6:52 PM  

  • I side with Omar... I'm head ova heels for you! aint no tooth gonna change that. Whatever you choose i'm gonna kiss you the same way as before, ehhh probably better :-) cause u know i'm the best kisser EVER! I got ya back in whatever you choose.

    By Blogger fuzzy, at 7:58 PM  

  • Pull it!

    By Blogger Ladynay, at 5:18 AM  

  • I recommend getig it pulled now. You definitely do not want have the infection spread. Then save later to get a fake tooth. Right now your health is of highest importance. Plus, missing one tooth for a while does not change who you are. You will be the same ShawnQT to me.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:01 AM  

  • teeth problems are the worse - i have no advice but good luck!

    By Blogger Clay, at 7:30 AM  

  • get it pulled, worry about everything else later...we like ur brain more than ur smile...and fuzzy will still want you b/c he knows omar and i will track him down :-)

    By Blogger Jay, at 8:56 AM  

  • I really appreciate everyone else's advice.

    I will try and see if I can go to a Dental School and see if they can do the root canal for a lower price. If the wait is too long, I will just go ahead and get it pulled

    The worse that can happen is I don't have a tooth for awhile... but the price of a root canal and a fake may be around the same price.

    All I have to do is prepare myself for not having a tooth, lol. It will be hard at first, but I know I will get over it eventually... thanks again!

    SEND MORE ADVICE IF U CAN, STILL NEED INPUT!

    By Blogger ShawnQt, at 9:16 AM  

  • Get it pulled. Get a fake one sooner or later. TAKE BVETTR CARE OF YOUR TEETH. (I'm SO about go upstairs and brush my teeth out of fear.) (Yes I brush everyday, LOL, so people don't think I'm dirty.)

    You're acting worse than Danielle of Top Model. ( Although Danielle did have Tyra paying for it too.... HMMMM.)

    DOES ANYONE GROW OLD AND KEEP ALL THEIR TEETH? (I'm curious now, and I'm going to research, because I swore they all fall out just like hair.) WHO KNOWS???


    Good luck, and choices


    -Marz

    By Blogger Marz, at 6:04 PM  

  • Especially I like the first site. But other links are informative too, if you are interested check all those links.http://neveo.info/2837.html and http://google-machine.info/384.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free Counters
Thanks for Visiting!

Powered by Blogger